Draupadi Murmu – 15th President Of India
It was joy all over the streets of the country when the Returning Officer for the poll and Rajya Sabha Secretary-General PC Mody declared that the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance’s candidate Draupadi Murmu is the winner of the presidential elections 2022.
She is set to be the 15th President of India and the country’s second female President. Draupadi Murmu won the election by a significant margin against the opposition candidate Yashwant Sinha. Draupadi Murmu, who belongs to the tribal community in Odisha, will be the first Adivasi woman to occupy the country’s top constitutional post.
Let us know some more details about the 15th President of India:
- She was born in 1958, in the district of Mayurbhanj in Odisha.
- She completed her education at Unit II High School and Rama Devi College, both in Bhubaneswar.
- She went on to work as a junior assistant in the State Irrigation and Power Department from 1979 to 1983.
- She also worked as a teacher at Sri Aurobindo Integral Education Centre at Rairangpur till 1997.
- She lost both her sons several years back. One of her sons, Laxman Murmu (25) died in 2009 and the second son passed away in a road accident a few years later in 2012.
- Two years later, Murmu faced another personal loss as her husband passed away due to cardiac arrest.
- She has a daughter Itishri Murmu who works at UCO bank in Odisha.
- In 1997, Murmu was elected councilor of the district board in Rairangpur.
- She became MLA from the same constituency and received the Neelkanth Award for Best Legislator by the Odisha Legislative Assembly.
- Murmu served twice as an MLA and once as a minister in the BJD-BJP coalition government in Odisha.
- On May 18, 2015, she was sworn in as the Governor of Jharkhand.
- She was the first tribal to become the Governor of any state of India.
From a school teacher, an MLA, a minister, first woman tribal governor, to the 15th President of India, Droupadi Murmu’s incredible life story inspires all of us. A common citizen of India coming from the tribal community can have the fortune of becoming the President of India. The New President will be sworn in as the 15th President of India on 25th July 2022 with incumbent President Ram Nath Kovind’s tenure ending on July 24.